History and Profile of St.Andrew's Lutheran Church
Last updated 18-May-2011
This congregation was founded by the German Lutheran immigrants in 1872. They came to this British controlled area in 1857-58. This beautiful old church building, which is the second oldest in East London and an attraction for tourists, was dedicated on 30th November 1882 and named after the disciple Andrew who brought several people to Jesus. Congregants as well as visitors enjoy the beautiful old stained glass windows. Nowadays St. Andrew's is a mainly English speaking congregation of 180 members. However, German Services are held once a month for German speaking members as well as for Germans living and working in East London for a short period of time. St.Andrew's is a very active congregation with choir singing in English and German, the Women's auxialiary with their catering service, the Arts and Crafts groups, who make and sell especially German Christmas and Easter decorations to help members in need. St.Andrew's has grown spiritually through the House Groups that were introduced several years ago. By going through a renewal process we have become more mission orientated by supporting missionary work like the Mercy Ships and Trans World Radio and helping different social institutions like St.Bernard's Hospice and Salvation Army. Through the monthly modern English services and our Youth Work we are reaching out to the younger generation.